Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Story of Faith from Thomas Jones' Diary

Story of Faith from Thomas Jones' Diary



11 May 1845 Thomas' baptism, 7 Feb 1847 Mary's baptism into the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints. 

Jones Family Story of Faith 
On September 6, 1850, my daughter, Sarah Jane, was taken ill with the small pox and she continued to get worse until the 9th when she was in a strong fever. The pox, instead of filling, became dried up. On the morning of the 10th, she’d turned purple and she became black. I returned at noon from my labor and found the child dying. I immediately went for Elder William Bayliss, President of the branch. I as was about ten minutes gone and when we returned, she was as far as we could perceive quite dead. Notwithstanding, I entreated Elder Bayliss to attend to the ordinance of anointing her with oil (while she was) laying at my hands, whereupon he asked me if I had faith to believe the Lord was able to restore her. I replied I had, for nothing was impossible to the Lord. He then attended to the ordinance and in the name of Jesus Christ, he commanded the disease and the afflicting power to leave her. The child opened her eyes. President Bayliss watched her for a few moments. I then asked him to lay hands on her again. Before doing so, he exhorted us to exercise our strong faith and wrestle with the Lord in prayer and he believed we should have the child restored to us again. He then laid his hands upon her and prayed for her. In a few minutes, she called for her mamma to give her something to drink. I still kept looking to the Lord in prayer, believing that she would rise up and in a few minutes, she put forth her hands and called for me. I took her in my arms and she recovered very fast and is now in good health for which we give thanks and praise God. (From the diary of Thomas Jones)
Ancestry Chain: CR, Lark, Camilla SMITH, Amy Ella HAWKES, Sarah Amy JONES, Cyrus Joseph JONES, Thomas JONES and Mary WILLIAMS.

No comments: