2. WC MONUMENT #12 BIRTH OF HURRICANE, 284 E. 200 N., Hwy. 9, Historic Hurricane
Canal Trail and Bowery Park, 84737
Open to Public
Erected by Sons of Utah Pioneers August 1, 1987
Large lava boulder set in cement foundation 64”x59”
Marker (#15)/Plaque Placed by Sons of Utah Pioneers August 1, 1987
Metal 30”x29”-1 picture – man with shovel
After nearly eleven years of arduous work on the canal, water was ready for diversion on to
Five or six wagon loads of people came from the little towns near by. The crowd was
solemn but happy. They let out a big shout as the water gushed down the hill. Names for
the new city to be were discussed and voted upon.
We thank God for these Pioneers of our valley.
For the complete story, visit Pioneer Park.
3.WCMONUMENT #13THE HURRICANE CANAL, 35 W. State St., Pioneer Heritage Park,
Open to Public
Erected by Utah State Historical Society 1992
Metal Post of Permaloy; 15”x19”x35”
determination. This canal built completely by hand opened the Hurricane Bench to farming
and the establishment of the town of Hurricane. In 1893, two local men, James Jepson and
John Steele decided to try to build the canal even though earlier reports had determined it
impossible. Company shares were sold to help finance the project. This stock was issued in
blocks not to exceed 20 shares. Each share was one acre of land with water rights. Nearly
100 men subscribed to stock in the Hurricane Canal Company. Many of the shares were
paid for in labor. Work on the canal was difficult and dangerous. The canal’s 7 ½ mile
length clings to the sheer walls of the Virgin River Canyon then follows the Hurricane Fault
and circles the farmlands of the Hurricane Bench. The canal is 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep
laid out on a 12 foot shelf of conglomerate and lime stone rock. Twelve tunnels had to be
blasted through solid rock and six flumes on wooden trestles were built to span ravines.
Ten cisterns were built on the hillside below the canal to hold drinking water. Construction
could be done only during the winter months in order to leave the men free to take care of
their farms. Work progressed slowly and landslides often wiped out months of hard labor.
After eleven years of tenacious effort, the canal was finished in 1904, providing water for
2,000 acres of farm land and the new community of Hurricane.
6.WCMONUMENT #16THE HURRICANE CANAL, 35 W. State St., Pioneer Heritage Park
Open to Public
Metal plaque on large Pioneer Gratitude Statue on Large stone monument
Marker/Plaque Placed by Sons of Utah Pioneers (#23D)
The Hurricane CanalOn August 6, 1904, pioneer families from Virgin City, Grafton, Toquerville,
LaVerkin, Rockville and Springdale met in the shade of a bowery and watched the Virgin
River water gurgle out of the Hurricane Canal on the fertile, parched soil of this valley.
Finally, the Rio Virgin was conquered! At that joyful celebration, the city they had
dreamed about for many heartbreaking years was named Hurricane from the historic
Hurricane Cliffs. In 1906, the first homes were built here.
Source: DUP (Daughters of the Utah Pioneers) Saint George, Utah web page.