Friday, March 19, 2010

Brigham City Cemetery - SMITH - ENSIGN - DUNN -

This marker lists the families of all five wives of Samuel SMITH plus Samuel's history.
click on photos to read

Samuel SMITH (1818-1896) and Sarah Jane INGRAM (1839-1872)
Samuel SMITH born 22 May 1818 Sherrinton, Buckshire, England, died 2 Oct 1896 Smithfield, Cache, Utah. Son of Daniel William SMITH and Sarah WOODING.

Sarah Jane INGRAM
(Ingarham) born 9 Jun 1839 Worcester, worcestershire, England, died 4 Sep 1872 Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah. Daughter of William INGRAM and Susannah GRIFFITHS.

1- Mary Ann LINE
2- Sarah Jane INGRAM was the second wife of Samuel SMITH they were married 19 May 1853 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Jane was the mother of nine children, Thyrza Ann SMITH TIPPETS, Daniel William SMITH (teen), Isaac SMITH, Sarah Elizabeth (Eliza) SMITH EVENS, John Wooding SMITH, Susannah SMITH EVENS, Frances May SMITH FORSGREN, Franklin Richard SMITH (infant), Alice Rosesella SMITH EMPEY.
3- Frances Ann INGRAM
4- Janett Maria SMITH
5- Caroline SMITH

History - Samuel
was an ambitious young man: one who was determined to make his mark in the world. He was not a tall man: early records indicate his full height was a scant five feet. But he was a stoutly built person who was agile on his feet and physically able to take care of himself. Economic conditions were rapidly deteriorating in England. England was in the grip of a severe recession, which, in many places was actually a pinching depression. Though the Smiths were not engaged in mining, the repressive economic downturn affected business everywhere.

Samuel and wife Mary Ann longed to find a new place where they would have freedom to take full advantage of their opportunities. They were even willing to consider leaving England (and its bitter memories of their two lost children) if the right opportunity presented itself.

Samuel removed from Sherington to London in 1835. It was in the year 1841 that the Smiths first heard the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their chief contact with the church was through Elder Lorenzo Snow, who was later to become the fifth President of the Church. Both Samuel and Mary Ann studied the unique new religion very carefully and soon, not only they, but Samuel's parents as well, were listening to the missionaries on a regular basis. They joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dec 1841. They sailed from Liverpool with his parents and family for America 15 Jan 1843. They came to Salt Lake City in 1850 and moved to Big Cottonwood.

Each time Samuel Smith took another wife he had them stay for two weeks at the beginning of their marriage with his first wife, Mary Ann Line Smith. She taught them how to live in polygamy and consequently there was practically no trouble or jealousy between the different families.

Samuel was called to Brigham City in 1855 where he was chosen as counselor to Lorenzo Snow who was presiding in Box Elder Stake. He was appointed postmaster of Brigham City in 1855 and continued in that position about 17 years. Samuel was elected Probate Judge of Box Elder County in 1859 and served the people in that office for 15 years. Samuel was also elected as mayor of Brigham City in 1879 and reelected in 1881.

After the reorganization of the Stake he was chosen President of the High Priest Quorum and was ordained a patriarch to the Stake which the latter position was held at his death.
(Family Histories of the Smith Family)

History - Jane, as she was called, was born in Worcestershire, England. Her parents William Ingram and Susanna Griffiths were strong and good honest workers. They joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when it was first brought to England. They emigrated to America in the year 1841 coming over in a sailing vessel [Yorkshire]. They came to St. Louis but was not there but a short time when the black measles broke out and they both (parents) died within a week, leaving three small children, a boy 8 yrs old, Richard by name, Jane 6 yrs. and Frances (Fanny) Ann 2 yrs. Their Uncle Richard Griffiths and his wife Mary took the children and gave them a home, they moved several times. At one time they lived near a forest of trees and the children would get the nuts in the fall for winter. Her uncle used to do a lot of trading horses and cattle, one night he came and told Richard and Jane to put the horses in the stable. When they went to do as they were told they heard a strange noise and ran to the house, the horses ran away in the woods. The children's uncle was angry at them and was going to whip them but their aunt would not let him ¬ so he went to see what it was and found a large wild hog in the stable, it came after him so he did not say anything to them. After that they soon moved from there. They were acquainted with the Prophet Joseph Smith and saw him and his brother, Hyrum, after they were martyred. One night just after they had gone to bed the mob entered the town and drove the saints out and set fire to their homes. The Saints grabbed what they could and ran to the river and crossed on the ice. Jane crossed the plains with an ox team walking all the way. She never had a chance to go to school and as her Aunt Mary had no children of her own she expected Jane to work like a grown woman. Her childhood was not in flowery paths for she was expected to do the housework at home while her aunt went to work for others to help make a living and if she did not have it done she was punished. This made her a quiet and of a discouraged nature. She never expected to be their equal to those who had an education but longed to learn. While crossing the plains her Aunt Mary took the cholera and died in the year 1849. After they arrived in Utah she went to live with Samuel Smith's mother (Sarah Wooding Smith) as Samuel and family did not arrive until the fall of 1850) who gave her a home. Jane married Samuel Smith in 1852, they moved to Cottonwood, where her first baby was born. Jane came to Brigham City in 1854 (1855), she was industrious and did all she could. When her third child was about three weeks old she was dressing him and accidentally swallowed a pin, (needle) which caused her much trouble later. Speaking of the time when the U.S. Army threatened to invade Utah, Jane, with the rest went south, walking most of the way carrying her baby so that the two little ones could ride, she like all the other in the company never complained but put their trust in the Lord and never asked why. After they returned, she helped her husband and the other families to keep a hotel for years. In the year 1864, Jane with her children, five in number, went to homestead in a place called Blue Springs, there were but a few settlers, about eight in number. They had a hard and a lonely time, it took two days with oxen to go from there to Brigham City. In the year 1867, the Indians threatened to attack the settlement and every one moved, the boys took all the stock and grain and left her with her little family, a girl 15 and her oldest boy 13 years. There were four other families left but they went three days after. The hired hands left her alone and as it was fall, a heavy snowstorm came and it was ten days before they could get to her. But she had no fear, she put her faith in the Lord and her calling that she knew that the Lord would protect her. The storm had caused the Indians to camp about 30 miles from her, so her (Jane's) prayers were answered. About nine years after she had swallowed that pin (needle) an abscess came on her left side just below the last rib. She suffered for years with that. She was bed-fast for eighteen months, then died (36 years old). She had lived a good life, was a good mother, a faithful Latter-day Saint and a good wife. She was the mother of nine children, eight were living at the time of her death. They were all home at the time, and none of them were married. She died the 4th of September 1872 at Brigham City, Utah. Sarah Jane was a very attractive woman; slender, with pretty brown eyes, long eyelashes and beautiful brown hair. She was of a quiet, retiring disposition, not given at all to quarreling. In fact, there were times when she would not defend herself even when such action was justified. Sarah Jane certainly had the sincere love and admiration of her sister Frances Ann Ingram.
(Family Histories of the Smith Family)

Simeon Adams DUNN (1803-1883)
Simeon Adams DUNN born 7 Aug 1803 Groveland, Williamstown, Ontario, New York, died 22 Feb 1883 Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah. Simeon was orphaned as a child. He was the son of Simeon A. DUNN and Sarah/Sally BATH.

Simeon married:
1- Adaline RAWSON (1811-1841) married 1826 likely in Rawsonville, Wayne, Michigan, she died 1841 in Nauvoo. Adaline was the mother of seven children, Adaline DUNN HAWS, Francis DUNN (toddler), Mary DUNN ENSIGN, Maria DUNN (infant), Mosiah DUNN (infant twin), Amariah DUNN (infant twin), Betsy DUNN HAWS.
2- 1842 Margaret SNYDER two children. Margaret died 1846 in Nauvoo.
3- 1846 Jane CALDWELL WAITE KELSEY one child divorced.
4- 1847 Harriet Atwood SILVER seven children. Harriet died 1858 Brigham City.
5- 1858 Abagail BRANDON STODDARD divorced.
7- 1865 Elizabeth WICKHAM two children divorced.

The Dunn Family--My grandparents, Simeon Adams Dunn and Harriett Atwood Silver were married at Winter Quarters, January 3, 1847, by President Brigham Young. They arrived in Utah September 28, 1848, and established their home in Brigham City. On December 31, 1857, to their family were added twin babies, Harriett and Henry Silver. The tiny girl died shortly after birth, and two days later, on January 2, 1858, the mother, Harriett, closed her eyes in death, having given her life for her family and the religion she had espoused. Twice before, this good husband and father had been called upon to lay away a devoted wife and .companion. This time his heart was almost broken as he placed the form of his lovely young wife in the crude, home-made casket and laid her lifeless bady daughter in her arms.

Three months later, in April 1858, the call came for all Saints to leave their homes in northern Utah, and journey southward. Simeon Adams Dunn loaded a few provisions and household effects into his covered wagon, assisted his motherless children to their place in the wagon box, and cracking his long whip over the backs of his oxen, commenced his journey. He had also provided a wagon for his eldest daughter and her three little girls, and they traveled together. The husband and father of this little family, Martin Luther Ensign, at that time was serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

As they proceeded on their way, baby Henry became very ill. They camped on Kay's Creek, (now Kaysville) and there they saw the life depart from their lovely three-months-old baby son and brother. The father made his little family as safe and comfortable as possible in this temporary camp, and with a sad and heavy heart slowly wended his way back to the lonely grave in the Brigham City Cemetery. Very near to it he dug a very small, new grave, and in it tenderly laid the remains of his baby boy.

He found the town empty, except for a few men who had remained behind, ready at a moment's notice to touch a match to the homes and buildings if the enemy should enter the city. He went into his house, expecting to spend the night there, but it was so quiet and lonely it was more than he could endure, so he went to the stable, laid down by his faithful oxen, and spent the night near them. Early the next morning he was on his way to rejoin his family. He found them safe and well and they continued their journey as far south as Payson, where they made their camp and remained until the Saints were counseled by the Church leader, to return to their homes.

From the diary of my father, Charles Oscar Dunn, who was four years old at the time of the move, I quote: "On our return home we passed the soldiers at the point of the mountain. It was a great sight to see them march by us. As we watched them pass, the wind blew my hat off and it rolled down a steep dugway and into the Jordan River, so I had to go on home without a hat, which made me very sad. We reached home alright but found all of our possessions gone, and our house empty."
(Eva Dunn Snow, Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol. 10, p. 259)

Martin Luther ENSIGN (1831-1911) and Mary DUNN (1833-1920)
Martin Luther ENSIGN was born 31 Mar 1831 Westfield Hampden Massachusetts, died 11 May 1911 Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah. Son of Horace Datus ENSIGN and Mary BRONSON.

Mary DUNN was born 2 Nov 1833 Belleville, Wayne, Michigan, died 7 Nov 1920. Daughter of
Simeon Adams DUNN and Adaline RAWSON.

They were married 8 Jan 1852, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Martin and Mary were the parents of nine children, Mary Adaline ENSIGN ROBERTS, Georgianna ENSIGN HILL, Emma Lovinia ENSIGN LEE, Harriett Camilla ENSIGN SMITH, Martin Luther ENSIGN Jr., John Henry ENSIGN (infant), Horace ENSIGN (infant), Effie Celestia ENSIGN MERRILL, Adam Wesley ENSIGN.

Martin Luther Ensign--My grandfather, Horace Ensign, and his five sons of Westfield, Massachusetts, were all carpenters. They joined the L.D.S. Church in 1843 and arrived at Winter Quarters in 1846 where they built a fine home, with a living room large enough in which to hold public meetings. Grandfather died of malaria that winter, but the eldest son Datus Ensign came with the first company to Salt Lake City and later moved to Ogden. Grandmother Ensign, with four sons and a daughter, arrived in Salt Lake City with the second company on September 18, 1847.

My father, Martin Luther Ensign, moved to Brigham City in 1852 with the Lorenzo Snow Company. He, with a partner had a carpenter shop on the bank of Boxelder Creek so that they could procure water power for their machines. Father made the furniture for our home and many others. He made dining room chairs, bureaus, wardrobes, bedsteads, shelves for books, etc. I have one of the dining chairs now. It has a carved back and is very sturdy. Besides building furniture they also helped erect buildings. private and public and he also helped build two bridges.
(Effie Ensign Merrill,
Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol. 12, p. 376)

Follow the name labels for more pictures and history.
The SMITH's and ENSIGN's are the grandparents of George Ensign SMITH (1898-1967), DUNN is a great grandfather.

No comments: