Monday, August 3, 2009

Joseph Enos and Catherine Worley Cowley

Catherine WORLEY COWLEY is great-grand aunt of Camilla SMITH

Utah Since Statehood, By Noble Warrum, Charles W. Morse, W. Brown Ewing, p. 762-766, photo p.763.

p. 762

Joseph Ennos Cowley is now living retired at Logan, although for many years he was identified with ranching interests in Utah and won thereby a measure of success that has enabled him to put aside further labors and rest in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former toil. Mr. Cowley was born at Council bluffs, Iowa, November 8, 1849, a son of Charles and Ann (Killip) Cowley and of English descent. His great grandparents in the paternal line were William and Elizabeth (Crellen) Cowley, natives of the Isle of Man. His grandparents were Nicholas and Eleanor (Kelly) Cowley. They, too, were born on the Isle of Man, as were the parents of Joseph E. Cowley, who in 1843 emigrated to America. They sailed form Liverpool on the ship Swanton for New Orleans and encountered no storm during the long voyage of fifty-eight days. The members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints on board were under the direction of Lorenzo Snow, one of the twelve apostles. Amos Fielding and Hyrum Clark were in charge of the emigration from Liverpool to America. They went from New Orleans to St. Louis on a steamboat and remained in that city for two weeks, as the river was frozen over as late as the 6th of April. They left the steamboat at the town of Warsaw, Illinois, and there Mr. Cowley hired a wagon and two horses and drove twenty-five mile to a small village called Macedonia, in Hancock county, Illinois, twenty miles form the city of Nauvoo. He remained there until the Saints removed to council bluffs in 1846, where the succeeding four years were passed, and on the 11th of June, 1850, Charles Cowley started with his family for Utah, arriving at his destination on the 22d of September. Mr. And Mrs. Cowley were accompanied by an old friend, Mrs. Belle Halzell, who carried Joseph E Cowley, then an infant, all the way across the plains.

Reared upon what was then the western frontier, Joseph E. Cowley as a small boy herded cows on the bench above Salt lake and on Ensign peak and Long Ridge in City Creek canyon in the early spring, while in the summer months he herded his cows in the seventh ward pasture. His friends and associates of boyhood were his cousin, Henry Quayle, William Wilcox, Moroni and William Beacher, Joseph, William and Thomas Tarbet, the Lambert Boys, the sons of apostle Taylor, the Ballantyne brothers, the Pugmire boys, George Whittaker, Thomas Hickenlooper, Ed Evans and Many others, who together engaged in games of marbles and knew all the swimming holes along the Jordan.

p. 763 [photo of older Joseph E. Cowley]

p. 764
In the spring of 1860 the Cowley family removed to Logan, settling first on what is now called Center Street, about a block and a half from Main street. Charles Cowley, brother of Joseph E., took up the lot where now stands the Presbyterian church and partly built thereon a log house, while William Partington, a brother-in-law, built on the lot east of the church. In the spring of 1861 the family home was established in the third ward, where Mr. Cowley of this review now resides. His father and brother Charles each took up a city lot, upon which they built log cabins, and the father purchased a lot across the road to the east for their stock. Joseph E. Cowley purchased the lot on First North street from Matthew Henry Farnes and on this stood a log house. The town was divided into wards, First North street being the north boundary of the third ward. In his boyhood Joseph E. Cowley continued to take care of the live stock and as he grew older drove four yoke of oxen to the plow and harrow. When he was about eighteen years of age he was called to go to Laramie, the terminus of the railroad, to meet emigrants. He drove a team all that way, with Chester Loveland, of Brigham, box elder county, as captain of the company. There were about forty wagons in all and two spans of mules to each wagon. When they were two days out on the return trip the Indians drove off part of their mules, but after quite a chase the men of the party secured the mules and captured the Indians, whom they turned over to the government authorities, thereafter proceeding west word with several hundred members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I[t] was in that company that Mr. Cowley made the acquaintance of Miss Catherine Worley, whom he wedded in the Endowment House of Salt lake city, on the 5th of July, 1875. [Catherine and her older sister Sarah Worley emigrated 1868 together the years before their parents emigrated.] She was a daughter of Henry and Catherine (Wilmore)Worley , both natives of Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. Her parents came to America with their family in 1869, and Mr. Worley at once made his way to Logan, Utah, where he resided until his death, which occurred December 21, 1914, when he had reached the venerable age of eighty-eight years. He came to America with his wife and nice children, and before leaving his native country he learned the trade of making glass buttons. Upon his conversion to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints he gave up everything in his native land and with his family started for the new world that he might cast in his lot with the people of his faith in Utah. After reaching this state he followed agricultural pursuits and stock raising, in which he was quite successful. By reason of his enterprise and integrity and his loyal aid to the church and to every cause which he espoused he commanded the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact.

Immediately after the marriage of Mr. Cowley and Catherine Worley they began housekeeping in the old family residence at Logan and there occurred the birth of their son, Joseph E. It was not long after his marriage, or in 1877, that Mr. Cowley went on a mission to Great Britain, returning in 1879. He afterward entered upon a very busy life, both in temporal and ecclesiastical affairs. He carried on farming and did sawmill work. Assisted in the promotion of many auxiliary organizations and in the church became a high counselor. He was called to labor in the Logan Temple when his children were small and continued to do so until the fall of 1917, when he was honorably released. In the conduct of his farm he worked diligently and persistently and his labors were abundantly blessed by the Lord, so that at the present time he is able to live retired. He has always continued an active worker in the church, in which he has filled the office of elder, acted as teacher and has been a priest for many years. He also acted as home missionary, labored as administrator in the temple for more than twenty years and baptized hundreds. He served as superintendent of the third ward Sunday school and as president of the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Association. He is now a member of the high priesthood.

To Joseph E. and Catherine (Worley) Cowley were born four sons and three daughters. Joseph E., the eldest, married Elizabeth Yonk and they hade two children, Joseph Merlin and Norma Elizabeth. Catherine married Ezra Carlson and they have seven children; Venice, Rada Kate, Ezra Duane, Elsie, Lois Ann, Enos James and Margaret. Ella, the next of the family, is at home. Rachel passed away at the age of eight years. William Ernest married christeen Golden Moffatt and they had five children; Mary Margaret, Joseph Enos, Catherine, Jenet, and Ella Christeen, who died at the age of two and a half years. Charles Franklin is at home. Henry Wilford, the youngest, died in infancy. The mother of these children passed

p 766
Away in September, 1891. For his second wife Mr. Cowley chose Bessie W. Jackson, a daughter of Henry Clark Jackson, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work.

In his political views Mr. Cowley has always been a republican but never an office seeker, his activity in public affairs being directed along other lines. Outside of his church work hi has given his time and thought largely to ranching and stock raising and is still the owner of two hundred and forty acres at the forks of Bear river, devoted to dry farming, and likewise owns other land devoted to the raising of hay, but having turned the active work of the farms over to his sons, he has lived retired since 1909, enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly merits. Throughout practically his entire life Mr. Cowley has resided in Utah and has not only been a most interested witness of the development and up building of Logan and the surrounding county bur has borne his part in the work of general improvement and progress, being closely associated with both the material and moral welfare of the community.

(Utah since statehood By Noble Warrum, Charles W. Morse, W. Brown Ewing), p. 762-766, photo p.763.

No comments: