Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mormon Trail - William Reese DAVIES and Rachel MORRIS, Welsh Saints

Seventh Generation William Rees and Rachel DAVIES
lived in - Wales / Council Bluffs / Fort Harmony, UT / Grafton, UT / Kanarraville, UT

William Rees Davies age 44 - 46 / b. 1805 Carmarthen, Wales - m. abt 1824 Swansen, Glamorgan, Wales - d. 1865 Kanarraville, UT - buried Kanarraville, UT.
Rachel MORRIS DAVIES age 46 - 49 / b. 1803 Saint Ishmael, Carmarthen, Wales - d. 1882 Kanarraville, UT - buried Kanarraville, UT.

BAPTIZED: Both 1843 in Wales by William Henshaw.
Rachel MORRIS DAVIES - was the first women baptized in Wales.
William Reese DAVIES - was the first men baptized in Wales.
William Reese DAVIES - First Welsh speaking missionary in Wales abt 1843.
William Reese DAVIES - Branch President of Welsh Branch Council Bluffs (1849-1852)
William Reese DAVIES - Indian Mission, Presiding Elder Fort Harmony, UT

1. BY SEA: “Troubador” from Wales to Liverpool.
2. BY SEA: 1849 “Buena Vista” to New Orleans. President of Welch Saints, Dan Jones, William R. Davies one of three counselors. William age 44, Rachel age 46

“Buena Vista” Information:
U.S. / 547 tons
Mater: E. Linnell
Depart Liverpool: Feb 25, 1849
Arrival New Orleans: April 19, 1849
53 Days passage
Company Leader: Dan Jones
249 LDS passengers

“Buena Vista” Narrative:
(Heart Throbs of the West, Vol.11, p.3)
Having finished his mission in Wales, Captain Jones sailed from Liverpool February 26, 1849 with 249 emigrating Saints on board the [p.4]ship "Buena Vista." The boat was a leaky one that the English said, "Let them have it and it will go down with all the damned Mormons on board." But Jones, being seaworthy and wise, repaired the ship and, with prayers each day for safety, they came across the ocean, unloaded everything upon the docks (much of it water soaked and spoiled. See mirror in exhibit) and the ship sank in the harbor. With their wealth of melody and song the Welsh Saints came ashore carrying, some of them, their crude .harps with strings of hair or leather, even though they knew space in wagons would be limited. But they couldn't leave their music behind. Leaving New Orleans the Welshmen took a steamer, "Highland Mary" up the Mississippi. But death rode with them, for cholera claimed sixty lives, about one fourth of the company. They landed at Kanesville, Iowa, in May, 1849, and [most] crossed the plains with ox teams with Dan Jones as captain, included in the George A. Smith company. Under date of August 12, 1849, George A. Smith wrote as follows, while crossing the plains: "Captain Dan Jones understands his duty, and surely he has done nobly in building up the Kingdom of God in his native land and conducting the company he has across the mighty deep."

(Heart Throbs of the West, Vol.11, p.8)
Sarah Evans Jeremy. With her husband, Sarah came as a pioneer of 1849. Her story of the people who were stricken with Cholera follows:—After seven weeks aboard the "Buena Vista," they ran out of oatmeal, bread and water and had to eat hardtack and drink water full of slime, called "ropey water." Their hearts were filled with joy as they saw the buildings of New Orleans outlined against the sky and two tug boats came and towed the big steamer into the harbor. Out of the 249 passengers aboard the "Highland Mary," one-third were stricken with the Cholera while enroute from New Orleans to Council Bluffs. Men and women were lying on the deck, unable to help themselves and no one able to do anything for them. Their tongues and mouths were parched with thirst and they felt as if they were being consumed with fire, and yet they were advised by a Brother Benjamin Clapp at New Orleans not to drink any water if they were stricken. However, Sarah's little boy, Thomas, who was nine years old at the time, crawled out of his bunk and drank the water off of some outmeal that one of the ladies had put on the stove to cook and by so doing, his life was spared, but his mother lost three of her beautiful little girls in one night; Sarah, Margaret and Mary. Coffins were made of rough boards and they were buried among the big timbers on the banks of the Missouri River. The grief of Thomas and Sarah was almost unbearable, but with their faith in the Lord and comfort given them by an angel of mercy, Jane Treharne, who afterwards became Mrs. Edward Ashton, they were able to pass through the terrible ordeal. The Cholera raged from New Orleans to Council Bluffs. In spite of all the trials they had, they turned their faces westward, undaunted. When they reached Council Bluffs, they were happy beyond words to get off the boat and their legs shook from the effects of the Cholera and they were so weak that they could scarcely walk down the gang plank. They left Wales in Feb. 1849 and arrived in Utah, the "land of promise" October 28, 1849.[p.9]
BY RIVER: “Constitution” up Mississippi to St. Louis. Steamer “Highland Mary” to Council Bluffs.

Welsh Saints Information: 1849
On the “Highland Mary” Cholera broke out. 249 began journey, 29 abandoned beliefs, 67 died, 163 reached Council Bluffs.

BY LAND: 1852 William Morgan Company
Departure: 22-28 June 1852
Arrival in Salt Lake Valley: 25-30 September 1852

Davies, William Rees (46), Davies, Rachel (49), Daughter Williams, Elizabeth David [Davis] (21), Elizabeth’s son Williams, Rees Jones, Jr. (1), Elizabeth’s husband Williams, Rees Jones, Sr. (23).

[missing information for the sons of William and Rachel Davies. Years: 1849-1852
John Rees Davies (age 22-25)
*James George Davies/Davis (age 17-20)]

Pioneer Information:
He [William Reese Davies] is referred to as "Bishop" in the Bowen journal.
Captain of 50 William Morgan, Counselors were William Rees Davies and William’s son in-law Rees Jones Williams Sr.

Company Information:
50 wagons were in the company when it began its journey.

Read Trail Excerpt:
Bear River, 80 miles from Salt Lake City,
20 September 1852.

Dear Brothers Phillips and Davis —

According to my promise, I now take the opportunity of writing to you for the second time on this journey. We have had a comfortable journey all the way so far, and the weather has been unusually moderate with but little rain and no storms; and even though we crossed one mountain which was 7,700 feet above sea level, we saw not so much as one day of snow on our way. We did see a lot of black clouds rising with the wind, and we heard distant thunder as if the whole heavens above were gathering their forces to sweep us away; but they dared not harm us, because of that One Who has all authority, and who calls the stars by their names, and He whose command the winds obey. He parted them as if by His hand (i.e., the clouds) until they went past us on every side with us in the middle without our feeling their effects. And not just once or twice did this happen.

We are all well at present, and we had but little sickness on our journey. Four have died, i.e., William Dafydd [David], from Llanelli, and Thomas, his son. Also William, son of Sister [Martha] Howells from Aberdare, who fell under his mother's wagon wheel which went over his chest. We administered to him through the ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ, according to the scriptures, and the next night he was strolling around the camp. He fell sick again in a day or two, and Bro. Taylor and myself administered to him again, but he died in spite of everything and everyone. The other who died was Jennet, the daughter of Thomas and Anne Morris, from cancer. You shall have more of the account of our journey when we reach the Valley.

Last night we were in our camp on the bank of Sulphur Creek, two miles from here. We heard in the morning that our dear brother, Capt. D. Jones, was camped by the Bear River. It was not long, as you shall learn, after hearing the news, before the word "pack up and pick up" came out; and I know that nowhere on the journey was there a quicker response to any call. His name had lit a flame of love in the breast of everyone toward him so that nothing else could be heard through the camp but "Bro. Jones," and "let us go to meet him." It wasn’t long before the wheels were turning. After traveling close to a mile, we saw a man of small stature walking quickly to meet us. We did not know who it was; but as we drew nearer to each other, to our joy who would it be but our dear Bro. Jones and his customary cheery smile. It is easier to imagine than to describe our meeting. After shaking hands, embracing, weeping and kissing, we went to the bank of the river where he had left his horse, having traveled from twenty to thirty miles during the night ahead of his company in order to meet us. We decided to spend a day in his friendship, to converse with each other about things pertaining to the kingdom of our God. Oh, brethren, how sweet the words poured over his lips. It is true that every word from his mouth was sweet earlier in Whales [Wales], but they were a thousand times sweeter here on the desolate mountains of America, between eight and nine thousand miles from Wales.
I must end this letter, for the camp is getting near, and Brothers Jeremy and Daniels are coming. Who can hold a pen when faithful brethren with whom I traveled thousands of miles in the bonds of love are getting near? Not I. There, the brothers and sisters are running; I cannot restrain myself any longer. Behold, everyone is coming back to the camp with his heart full of joy in full proof of the truthfulness of the words "how lovely is the dwelling of brothers together." We spent the rest of the day in brotherly love, at times singing, other times testifying of our determinations, listening to the teaching of the three brethren, until the day went past, and, if truth be told, until twelve o'clock at night also. And though the midst of the green willows we met, the Spirit of God was among us. We all took our leave so that each could fulfill his calling in full confidence that we would meet again in Zion. The camp is getting underway. Farewell for now, dear Brothers Phillips and Davis.

I am your brother in the bonds of the Gospel,
W. Morgan.

Other Sources see: Rachel Morris Davies, “Pioneer Women of
Faith and Fortitude” p.766-767
See: The family of Joseph Henry Pollock, Jr. and Alice Mae Davis, p.79-80

Kirt DeMar WOOD - Laura Elizabeth PARKER pedigree.


Diane said...

Lark...I am so impressed with the wonderful records you have compiled here!! I will surely return again and again to read and collect imformation. I am a great great granddaughter of Simeon Adams Dunn and Harriet Atwood Silver, great granddaughter of Charles Oscar Dunn and Janie Welch and a grand daughter of Simeon Adams Dunn and Wanda Marie Facer. . . I found you from the email showing the painting that Glen Hopkinson painted of our ancestor...and I am so glad that I did!!! THANKS AGAIN!! Much appreciated and I will surely enjoy and learn much....

Diane said...

It is me again and I was wondering if we are related??? THANKS!

Lark said...

Yes we would be related. Email me and let me know your line back to Simeon Adams DUNN. I am also related to Charles Oscar DUNN's first wife.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.