Thursday, December 11, 2008

History - Henry and Catherine WORLEY

Ancestry chain: CR - Lark - Camilla SMITH - Amy Ella HAWKES - Sarah Amy JONES - Sarah WORLEY - Catherine WILLMORE and Henry WOLELY

WORLEY home Logan, Utah

Note from Lark: I copied as found. I have made only a few corrections of Type O's. I hope I have not made additional typing errors.
History of Henry and Catherine Wilmore Worley

Faith in Every Footstep
Henry and Catherine Willmore Worley

Henry Worley was born March 16, 1827 in Great Baer Staffordshire, England. Catherine Wilmore was born Aug. 5, 1822 in Birmingham Worwichshire, England, and was the daughter of Edward Wilmore and Catherine Ruddhall. They were married Feb. 1, 1846.
Henry was an outstanding, man, was given a strong vigorous body that proved a great value to him in the varying changes of life through which he passed. His conversion to the LDS Church was remarkable. He with others, during the dinner hour would discuss many topics. There were present two workmen, Mormon Elders, who were very interested in singing songs from a book they had. These songs touched the heart of Henry and he asked for the loan of this book and read its contents which appealed to him. He was invited to attend their meetings. Upon hearing the doctrine, he was thoroughly converted. He was baptized when 21 years old with his wife Catherine at Hockley Branch, Hunters Vale Farm Street, Birmingham Worwichshire England. As a boy he apprenticed himself to different trades but none seemed to satisfy him until he learned button making from his brother-in-law Peter Poll. This was a very attractive business and later he owned and operated a button factory. They had a good business, a good home and were very happy. The factory was a two story building in the rear of their home with a stairway on the outside. William or Billie liked to slide down the stairs. When quite young he fell down the stairs and broke his nose which caused an eye condition that required attention. His mother used to take him to London for treatments by a specialist.

Catherine always cooked a good hot meal for the men that worked in the factory and they all learned to love her dearly, they begged her not to leave them to go to Utah.
They were always looking for the day when they could come to Utah. The first Elders to come to their home were Charles W. Penrose and Moses Thatcher. They were welcomed as all Elders were. After people learned that they had joined the LDS Church the people were very bitter toward them and all other LDS members and did all in their power to try and break up LDS meetings. When any one was going to be baptized if the public heard about it they were determined to put a stop to it. LDS meeting were held at the old farm street chapel, Beckley Branch, England. It was at one of these meeting that a man named William Howard said he had a piece of land close by with a stream of water running through it, and that if some one would help him dam the steam they could baptize there without being molested. Henry being anxious to carry on the work said he'd help. Brother Howard had a donkey cart. They used this cart to bring slabs to build the dam. Many were baptized there including their son George, who was nine years of age.

Henry WORLEY and younger son

On the 24 of May 1866, their sons John and George left Liverpool, England on the ship Arkwright for America to get a home ready for them. They had many hardships. They arrived in Salt Lake City Oct. 30, 1866. Sarah and Catherine were the next to leave. They left June 30, 1868. All their friend hated to see them go. Their father’s business associated gave them all kinds of merchandise, needles, thread, yard and yard of goods, many other things. When they arrived in Utah they found the gifts had been stolen from them. They had many hardships. They walked 1200 miles across the plains only riding over the rivers. Two years later or twenty one years after Henry and Catherine were baptized they prepared to leave their native land. They offered their household goods for sale. When most of the things were sold, they turned the button factory over to Henry's brother William and Henry left for Liverpool where he went to say goodbye to his sister Ann. He was to meet his wife and children later. When all the things were sold a cabman came and took Catherine and the rest of the children which were Harry, Jane, Thomas and William or Billie (as he was called). She was put on board the ship with her family and no father was there. Can you imagine her feelings when the ship left the dock without him. On arriving at Queenstown to their happy surprise there was their father. He had missed the boat, so he took a train and met the boat as it stopped for passengers. They were all very seasick. Catherine took plenty of preserved fruits. They were given butter with their meals, but as they were seasick so long, that when leaving the ship they had a good supply of butter to take with them. They were eight weeks on the ocean. They sailed on the ship Constitution, her last voyage. It was a very hard trip. They landed at Castle Gardens where they stayed for two days. The gardens were not what the name implied as it consisted of only a few old wooden sheds and dirt.

They were lucky however because they were able to come to Utah by train. It was the first year the train came to Ogden, Utah. The cars were more like cattle cars. However they did not mind this inconvenience because they were going to Utah to see their sons and daughters. When they arrived in Ogden, Utah their son John and Bro. Smith met them with a pair of mules, a wagon and buffalo robe. They traveled to Brigham City, Utah in one half day where they were given some peaches the sized of Walnuts. However they tasted good to them. They traveled on to Logan where their daughters Sarah and Kate lived and worked for John and Joe Thatcher. Sarah and Kate promised they would tell each other when they saw the wagon coming with their father and mother and family. When they did see the wagon it was said they both came over the willow fence like young deer. It was a happy meeting. Their new home was a one room log cabin with a dirt floor and dirt roof. It was located at about 146 So. 3 West. on the east side of the street. What a difference from the home they left in England.

The water supply was a well, where they used balanced buckets to save water. Their fuel was willows and wood from trees, John would hunt wild game for meat.

They had a good supper the night they arrived in Logan. One they never forgot, hot biscuits, potatoes, mountain trout and milk. It was very delicious and cooked by their own dear girls. Henry went to the card mill for lumber to make a table, and benches to sit on. When it rained water came through the dirt roof. Their beds were on the floor. Billie being small slept under the table.

Henry was very discouraged, and after a year had passed he called the family together and asked if they shouldn’t go back to England, Catherine said “when I came I came to stay,” so stay they did. There was not any way of making a living in Logan. Joe Thatcher gave Kate a cow and George bought one from Bro. Preston and gave to his father and mother. Oh my for the good butter their mother used to make. She fed the cows scalded bran and cooked potatoes to make them give more milk. She also sold yeast and took flour and sugar in exchange which helped very much. They soon had a good garden, but not for long, the grasshoppers came so thick that they darkened the sun. All the family got out with willows in both hands, and walked up and down the rows to keep them from eating the garden. Harry said, “Father, they are as thick behind me as in front.” His father said. “never mind, keep going, while they are flying they are not eating.” This way they saved half of the garden.

They did all their cooking in bake kettles over an open fire. Henry went to Ogden and worked for the railroad. Once he walked all the way home in snow above his knees in order to be home for Christmas. He arrived home at 3 a.m. covered with snow and icicles. They later moved to a new home that was on the corner of 3 west and Center Street. It was a four room with kitchen off the side They owned the land for half a block south. They were soon able to get things for the home that helped with the cooking and the other home duties. Henry and Catherine received the blessing of the priesthood and also received their endowments and the Logan Temple. They became interested in the salvation of their dead. The London records showed one man would have been 857 years old in 1923 and was in the reign of King Henry the 8th and King Henry the 6th. Henry and Catherine accomplished all the temple work that health would permit.
Never for a moment did they relinquish their faith. It was not a passing faith, but a knowing faith. It has that quality that gave them the assurance that God lived that Jesus was the Christ and that through the Prophet Joseph Smith his gospel had been restored.

They also had faith and acceptance in the Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants. They were to them divine records. They have been true to every trust and have traveled the highways of life upholding and sustaining the Priesthood of God in all their activities. They carried always those qualities of life that build noble character and did all that was good and find. They were charitable to those who came within the range of their acquaintance who loved them. Their friends were many and they loved their fellowman. They passed into the eternities being not afraid.

Their family consisted of seven boys John,
George, Harry, Thomas, William Christopher and Edward. Christopher and Edward were twins who died in infancy and were buried in England. Their daughters were Sarah, Catherine and Jane. When a young child Jane had a sunstroke causing her to walk with crutches throughout her life. But she was a very happy person in spite of this affliction. She sang. and played the accordion very well. She never married. The rest of the family were married in the temple and raised large families.


Henry Worley and wife Catherine Willmore

A brief sketch of Henry Worley and wife Catherine Willmore Worley whose home was no. 2 Lord Street Birmingham Warwickshire England.

After being converted to the Latter Day Saint Church because of the glorious truth which the inspiration of the Almighty had given to him. He was baptized in the Hockley Branch Huntervale Farm St. in 1841, his wife joined one month later.

In 1866 their great faith is shown by letting their two oldest sons, John 20 years old and George 18 years, emigrate with a large company of Saints to Utah in Thompson’s Company. Capt. Daniel Thompson ox train of immigrants which had left Wyoming July 5 with 84 wagons and about 500 immigrants arrived at Great Salt Lake City.

Father being a glass button maker fitted his boys, John and George, out with all kinds of buttons. After they arrived in Logan they sold the buttons to Thatcher’s Store.

Two years later in 1868 their faith was exhibited when they let their two daughters Sarah 18 [17] years, and Catherine 16 [14] years follow their sons with another large company of Saints. All four of them waded in rivers and walked across the plains to Salt Lake City. What a happy meeting when the two girls met their brothers in Logan, Cache Valley. Their faith seemed to be as great as their parents, and how unitedly they worked together saving all their earnings that their parents might follow, after earning sufficient money, but they could only collect half the required amount: however, through the kindness of old father Hesikiah Thatcher who loaned them enough to make up the required amount so they could send for their parents and the rest of the family, who were Jane, Harry, Thomas and William.

Imagine the joy and peace of mind which came to the parents when they read the letter from their sons and daughters in America informing them that their emigration was paid for from Liverpool to Ogden, Utah.

The happy day arrived when they packed up all the house hold goods they could take that would be useful in making up a new home. The rest of the unpacked articles were sold by auction to uncles, aunts, cousins, and neighbors.

After father had made arrangements with men to sell all that was left and take us to the station he went to see his oldest sister, Ann Whittaker at Serbridge, and said he would join us at Liverpool.

After mother received the money from the sales, we were taken to the station, after a ride in cars of 103 miles, we arrived at Liverpool with our luggage, we were taken to the docks and put aboard a steamer called “Wyoming.” We felt very sorrowful to sail without our father, for he was no where to be found. When father arrived in Liverpool, finding the vessel had gone he took the train for Queenstown and when the vessel stopped to take on passengers, we were surprised, but delighted to see our father with them.

Arriving in New York father had but $5.00 in his pockets and when we arrived in Ogden he had but $1.00, there we were met by our brother John and John Smith, with a wagon and a mule team to take us to Logan. We camped in a log cabin with a dirt roof and floor on a lot next to Joseph Thatcher which had a willow fence in front of it. It was in this humble home that Henry Worley’s wife and children met together and partook of their first meal in Logan, which was cooked by Sarah and Catherine in Joseph and John Thatcher’s home. This dinner consisted of hot biscuits and potatoes, butter milk and mountain trout.

Harry Enver, Alex Lewis and family, Charles Napper and family came to Utah in the same company.

Copied by Harry Worley
A great uncle of Amy Ella Hawkes Smith

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.