William KELSEY Arrived in New England 1632
11th great-grandfatherWilliam KELSEY-b.1600 and Berthia HOPKINS / Mark KELSEY-b.1628 / Thomas KELSEY-b.1663 / Thomas KELSEY-b.1701 / Thomas KELSEY-b.1729 / Marcy KELSEY-b.1764 / Thomas LUCAS-b.1788 / Marcy Jane LUCAS-b.1814 / Polly WILLIAMS-b.1838 / Elizabeth Ann DAVIS-b.1859 / Laura Elizabeth PARKER-b.1889 / Kirt DeMar WOOD/b.1923 / Lark / TR
The Kelsey Kindred of America Descendents of the Puritan Ancestor, William Kelsey Genealogy from 1632 Cambridge, 1634 Hartford, 1636 Kenilworth Connecticut
THE ANCESTOR - WILLIAM KELSEYWilliam Kelsey, the first of the Kelsey name in America, was born in 1600, Chelmsford, Essex County, England. He was the son of George Kelsey Jr. and Elizabeth Hammond and had 2 brothers: John and Henry.
William Kelsey was one of the original "Braintree Company" followers of the Reverend Thomas Hooker, who came to America and they were the first settlers of "New Towne" (now Cambridge) Massachusetts in 1632. Reverend Hooker joined them the following year.
In June, 1636, Mr. Hooker and Mr. Stone, with more than 50 families of the "first church" (Mr. Hooker's) removed to Connecticut where, in the valley of the same name, they established another "New Towne" which was changed to "Hartford" on February 21, 1637. Among these were William Kelsey.
Coming to "Hartford" with the Hooker Company, William Kelsey was one of the "original proprietors" and, as such, his name appears on the "Founders Monument" in the "ancient burying ground" of the First Congregational Church of that city, presently known as "Center Church". His name is also found on the "Adventurers Boulder" located at City Hall, Hartford, CT.
In March 1663, William Kelsey and 26 others migrated to the "Hammonasset Plantation" and founded the Town of "Kenilworth", later changed to "Killingworth". In 1838, the town was separated into North and South parts. The South part called "Clinton" and the North, "Killingworth".
William Kelsey had 9 children: (his wife or wives have not been verified). Mark, Bethia (recent data questions this daughter's name; and, it is thought that it may be either Hester or Esther), Priscilla, Mary, John, Abigail, Stephen, Daniel, and William Jr.
Mark Kelsey lived in Windsor and Wethersfield. He first married Rebecca Hoskins, second Mrs. Abigail Atwood. Rebecca was the daughter of John Hoskins and his wife, Ann Filer. John Hoskins came to New England on the "Mary & John" in 1630. Mark and Rebecca had 8 or more children.
Priscilla Kelsey lived and died in Windsor, CT. She married Cornelius Gillette. They had 9 children.
Mary Kelsey lived and died in Windsor, CT. She married Jonathan Gillette (brother of Cornelius Gillette). They had 10 children.
John Kelsey removed to Killingworth with his father, William Kelsey, at the age of 27. He married Hannah Disborough 2 years later in Hartford, CT. They had 9 children. John and his father are noted as two of the first settlers of Kenilworth.
Abigail Kelsey also accompanied her father, William Kelsey, to Killingworth at the age of 18. She married Lieutenant John Hull. They had 4 children.
Stephen Kelsey lived and died in Hartford, CT. He married Hannah Ingersoll. They had 10 children.
Daniel Kelsey also removed to Killingworth with his father, William Kelsey, at the age of 13. He later married first Mary Stevens. They had 5 children. He married second, Jane Chalker. They had 5 children.
William Kelsey Jr. was born 3/23/1654. It is supposed that he died young before the family removed to Killingworth, CT.