Mary DUNN-b.1833 / Harriett Camilla ENSIGN-b.1859 / George Ensign SMITH-b.1898 / Camilla SMITH-b.1926 / Lark / JR
Jonathan Fairebanke (Fairbank, Fairbanks) (born 1594, died December 5, 1668) was born in Heptonstall, Halifax, Yorkshire, England. Jonathan came from Sowerby in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, to Boston, Mass., in the year 1633, and in 1636 settled in Dedham, Mass., where he built the noted "Old Fairbanks House." Jonathan had "long stood off from the church upon some scruples about public profession of faith and the covenant, yet after divers loving conferences..., he made such a declaration of his faith and conversion to God and profession of subjection to the ordinances of Christ in the church that he was readily and gladly received by the whole church."
The Fairbanks House in Dedham, Massachusetts is today the oldest house in North America. It is still standing as an ancient landmark, the oldest dwelling house in New England that, for the same period of time, has been continuously owned and occupied by the builder and his lineal descendants. Only a few houses, or parts of houses of the same age remain, and most of these are in ruins. It is, moreover, a remarkable fact, perhaps unparalleled in this country, that during all this time, two and a half centuries, the estate has never had a mortgage incumbrance upon it. This house is now historically famous, and is an object of great interest to many visitors to the old town of Dedham. ( Source See: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Jonathan FAIRBANKS - b. about 1595, England; d. Dec. 5, 1668, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. Son of George FAIRBANK and Mary FARRER, and descendant of William FAIRBANKE (1455-1518). Some sources suggest that Jonathan came from Sowerby, West Riding, Yorkshire, England to Boston in 1633 in the "Griffin," but without documentary evidence. Claims that he was the brother of Richard FAIRBANKS, or that he arrived aboard the "Speedwell," are also apparently without documentation. In his will of May 28, 1650, George FAIRBANKE, clothier of Sowerby, Halifax and son of John FAIRBANK and Isabel STANCLIFFE, names "Mr. Jonathan Fairebanke" and a copy of the will was marked "For his lovinge Cusen Johnathan Fayrbancke in New England these." Moved to Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA by 1636 when he built his house there. The house at 511 East St., Dedham was built of timbers brought from England, and may well be the oldest frame house in America. The home remained in the Fairbanks family through eight generations, before becoming property of the Fairbanks Family Association. Jonathan was a signer of the 1636 Covenant of Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. He was received as a member of the church at Dedham, MA on Jul. 14, 1646, served the town in a number of positions and was elected selectman on Jan. 4, 1657/8. His will dated Jun. 1, 1668 and proved Jan. 26, 1668/9 names wife and his five surviving children. His estate inventoried at £300 on Jan. 26, 1668/9. Married in England, probably as stated in the following record: Parish in Halifax, West Riding, Yorkshire, Jonathan FAYRBANKE and Grace SMITH, of Warley, a neighboring hamlet, May 20, 1617.
Grace SMITH - b. about 1597; d. either Dec. 28, 1673 or May 19, 1676, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. She may have been the daughter of Samuel SMITH and Grace (PLATTS) GAWKROGER.
- John - bap. Feb. 15, 1618, Halifax, England; d. Nov. 13, 1684, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. Signer of The Covenant of Dedham, MA. Inherited home at Dedham. Married first Jan. 10, 1641 Sarah FISKE (d. Sep. 26, 1683). Children of John and Sarah FAIRBANKS: Joshua died young; John married Hannah WHITING; Sarah married Mr. SAWYER; Jonathan died young; twins Martha and Mary (both died in infancy); Joseph married Dorcas; Hannah married Samuel DEERING; and Benjamin married Mary RICHARDS.
- George - bap. Nov. 28, 1619, Sowerby, Halifax, England; d. Jan. 10, 1682/3, probably at Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA.
- Mary - bap. Feb 3, 1621/2, Sowerby, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; bap. Apr. 18, 1622, Halifax, Yorkshire, England; d. Feb/ 12. 1672/3, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. Married first Apr. 2, 1644, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA, Michael METCALF (b. Aug. 29, 1620, Norwich, England; d. Mar. 25, 1654, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA), son of Rev. Leonard METCALF and Margaret. Mary married second Aug. 2, 1654, Christopher SMITH (d. Nov. 7, 1676, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA), son of John SMITH. For descendants of Mary FAIRBANKS and Michael METCALF, refer to Some Descendants of Rev. Leonard Metcalf of Tatterford Parish, Norfolk, England - by Howard H. Metcalfe (2003; 768 pages), available from the publisher. Children of Mary and Michael METCALF: Michael married Elizabeth FULLER; Mary married Capt. John WARE; Sarah married Robert WARE; Dea. Jonathan married Hannah KENDRICK; and Eleazer married Meletiah FISHER. Son of Mary and Christopher SMITH: John.
- Jonas - bap. Mar. 6, 1625, Halifax, England; d. Feb. 10, 1676, Laancaster, Middlesex Co., MA. Killed by Indians, together with son Joshua. Married May 28, 1658 at Lancaster, Middlesex Co., MA to Lydia PRESCOTT (b. Aug. 15, 1641, Watertown, Middlesex Co., MA; d. after Oct. 1712), daughter of John PRESCOTT and Mary PLATTS. Lydia married second Ellis BARRON (b. about 1633; d. before Oct. 1712, Lancaster, MA), son of Ellis BARRON and Grace, as his second wife. Lydia and Ellis BARRON were parents of Mary, Abigail, Joshua (died as infant), and Joshua. Children of Jonas and Lydia FAIRBANKS: Mary married first Moses ADAMS, and second Ephraim BROWN; Joshua killed by Indians at age 15; Grace died young; Jonathan married Mary HAYWARD; Hazadiah married John MOORE; Jabez married Mary WILDER; and Jonas.
- Susan - bap. Dec. 23, 1627, Thornton-in-Craven, England; d. Jul. 8, 1659, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. Father's will mentions her, her husband, and "four children of Ralph, that he had by his last [or late] wife my daughter Susan." Married Oct. 12, 1647 Ralph DAY (d. Oct. 28, 1677). Ralph DAY married second on Nov. 15, 1759 at Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA, Abigail (CRAFTS) RUGGLES (b. mar. 28, 1634, Roxbury, Suffolk Co., MA; d. Jan. 19, 1706/7, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA), daughter of Griffin CRAFTS and Alice, and had daughter Abigail. Abigail (CRAFTS) RUGGLES DAY married third on Dec. 7, 1678 at Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA, Edward ADAMS. Children of Susan and Ralph DAY: Elizabeth; Mary married John PAYNE; Susan; John; and perhaps Ralph died as infant.
- Jonathan - b. about 1629, England; d. Jan. 28, 1711/12, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA. Signer of The Covenant of Dedham, MA. Married Deborah SHEPARD (b. about 1631, England; d. Sep. 7, 1705, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA), daughter of Edward SHEPARD and Violet CHARNOCK. Children of Jonathan and Deborah FAIRBANKS: Deborah married William LYON; Grace died young; Sarah died young; Edward; David; Samuel married Christian CHAPELL; Mary married Samuel WHITING; Jeremiah married Mary PENFIELD; Jonathan married; Abigail; Elizabeth; and Rachel.
Capt. George and Mary (Adams) Fairbanks
George FAIRBANKS - bap. Nov. 28, 1619, Sowerby, Yorkshire, England; d. Jan. 10, 1682/3, probably at Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA. Son of Jonathan FAIRBANKS and Grace SMITH. Resided at Dedham, Sherborn, and Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA. Signer of The Covenant of Dedham, MA. Member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, and Captain and resident Commander of the old stone garrison house at Bogestow Pond. Estate inventoried at £800.17.9. Married Aug. 26, 1646, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA.
Mary ADAMS - b. 1628; d. Oct. 11, 1711, Mendon, Worcester Co., MA. Probably resided with daughter Margaret HOLBROOK after the death of George.
Children of George and Mary Fairbanks
See Notable Cousins for line to: Emily Elizabeth DICKINSON, Erastus FAIRBANKS, Thaddeus FAIRBANKS, and Margaret MEAD
- Mary - b.Nov. 10, 1647, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Jun. 9, 1682, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA. Married Joseph DANIELS.
- George - b. May 26, 1650, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA; d. May 5, 1737, Medway, Norfolk Co., MA. Inherited home at Sherborn, MA. Married first Dec. 1, 1671 at Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA to Rachel ADAMS (d. May 12, 1678, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA), daughter of Peter ADAMS and Rachel NEWCOME of Braintree, Norfolk Co., MA; second about 1679 Susanna (d. Apr. 9, 1750, Medway, Norfolk Co., MA). Children George and Rachel FAIRBANKS: Rachel; and Mary married Benjamin ALLEN. Children by Susanna: Susannah died in infancy; Susannah; Dorothy; Margaret; Jonas; Sarah; George; and John.
- Samuel - b. Oct. 28, 1652, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Nov. 20, 1676, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA.
- Eleazer - b. Jun. 8, 1655, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Jun. 10, 1645, Sherborn, Middlesex Co., MA. Selectman at Sherborn 1703. Given name spelling has several variations. Married about 1678 Martha LOVETT (b. Jun. 7, 1654, Braintree, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Jan. 22, 1749/0, Sherborn, Norfolk Co., MA), daughter of Daniel LOVETT and Johanna BLOTT. Children of Eleazer and Martha FAIRBANKS: Mary; Martha married first Oliver DEATH, and second Ebenezer LELAND, Jr.; Lydia; Margaret died young; Mercy married Joshua UNDERWOOD; and Capt. Eleazer married Martha BULLARD.
- Jonas - b. Feb. 23, 1656/7, Dedham, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Nov. 28, 1676, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA.
- Jonathan - b. May 1, 1662, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Dec. 18, 1719, Sherborn, Middlesex Co., MA. First physician at Sherborn, MA; selectman 1695-1701; town clerk 1699-1701. Drowned while returning from Medfield to Sherborn across ice of Bogestow Pond. The inventory of his estate in Jan. 1719/0 totalled over £1,000. Married first by 1685 Sarah (d. Jul. 9, 1713, Sherborn, Middlesex Co., MA); and second about 1714 Anne THOMPSON (b. Feb. 10, 1676/7, Charlestown, Suffolk Co., MA; d. Dec. 30, 1716, Braintree, Norfolk Co., MA), daughter of Benjamin THOMPSON and Susanna KIRKLAND, and widow of Thomas CAREW, by whom she had sons Thomas and John. Children of Jonathan and Sarah FAIRBANKS: George married first Lydia GAY, and second Rachel DRURY; Dr. Jonathan married first Lydia HOLBROOK, and second Hannah COOLIDGE; Comfort married Joseph BILLINGS; Joseph died young; Samuel married Susanna WATSON; and Jonas died young. Son of Jonathan and Anne FAIRBANKS: Benjamin married Jerusha HODGE.
- Margaret - b. Jun. 27, 1664, Medfield, Norfolk Co., MA; d. after Jun. 1731. Married first on Jan. 23, 1683 at Sherborn, MA, William HOLBROOK (b. Jun. 23, 1657, Weymouth, Norfolk Co., MA; d. Nov. 19, 1714, Mendon, Worcester Co., MA), son of William HOLBROOK and Elizabeth PITTS. Margaret married second on Jun. 6, 1719 at Mendon, Worcester Co., MA, Josiah THAYER (b. about 1666; d. Feb. 1728/9), son of Ferdinando THAYER and Huldah HAYWARD. Children of Margaret and William HOLBROOK: Mary died in infancy; Margaret died in infancy; and William died young.
The Fairbanks Home History Site
511 East Street
Dedham, MA 02026